Knee Ultrasound Course (Basic)
Ultrasound in both the acute and chronic knee is a simple yet effective tool. This module will take the student through the anatomy that is well visualised with ultrasound.
We will also highlight the subgroup of pathologies which cannot be satisfactorily assessed with ultrasound alone. This allows the clinician to quickly apply the best investigation to the clinical presentation.
You will gain an understanding of machine optimisation including ‘tips & traps’ and anatomy familiarisation on real patient models.
Want to be recognised as a safe and competent point of care ultrasound user?
This course is the first step toward attaining a credential in point of care ultrasound (Certificate of Competence).
Learn more about our credentialing pathway.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Medicine Physician
- Family Physician
- General Practitioner
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Sports Medicine Physician
- Pain Management Specialist
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
To acquire a complete set of diagnostic quality views to answer the clinical questions:
- Is there a joint effusion?
- Is there a Baker’s cyst?
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate effective use of an ultrasound machine.
- Optimise an ultrasound image.
- Recognise relevant normal ultrasound anatomy and describe using sonographic terminology.
- Acquire images of the suprapatellar recess and postero-medial popliteal fossa.
- How to document the ultrasound findings.
- Identify the limitations of ultrasound and identify when to on-refer patients for formal scanning or complimentary investigations.
|Knee Ultrasound (Basic) Course||5 cases (included in course fee)|
|Knee Ultrasound (Advanced) Course||15 cases (to be purchased separately)|
- Basic Course — upon completion of the Knee Ultrasound Basic course, students may submit up to 5 cases for Tutor review, at no additional cost.
- Advanced Course — those who wish to achieve the ultrasound credential will need to purchase the additional 15 cases (reviews) in addition to the course fee.
- No cases are required to be submitted prior to enrolling in the Knee Ultrasound Advanced course.
- There is no obligation for students to submit cases if they do not wish to be credentialed.
Qualification: MBBS with SMC registration — or international equivalent.
Equipment: Regular access to an ultrasound machine and patients.
Prior learning: No previous ultrasound experience is necessary.
Prior to commencing course:
Pre-course material will be provided four weeks before the course start date. This will include videos and a short quiz. It is mandatory to review this material prior to attending as it is the foundation material for the course.
- Hands-on practical scanning on real patient models and simulators, with a maximum ratio of 1 tutor to 4 students.
- Expert led presentations and demonstrations.
- Online videos and directed reading.
- Online logbook — upload your images for personalised and constructive feedback from your dedicated tutor.
- Formative rubric assessment — measure you skill progression and highlight areas for improvement.
8:15 am to 4:15 pm
National University of Singapore
MD6, 14 Medical Drive,
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.