Shoulder Ultrasound (Advanced)
- Discuss real cases.
- Examine pathology.
- Understand the differential diagnoses.
- Integrate diagnoses into the patient management plan.
- Advanced skills live scanning.
- Complete a clinical practical assessment and case presentation.
Course Dates & Fees
Prior to attending Shoulder Advanced, you will have developed image acquisition and interpretation skills from the Basic programme. It is now time to consolidate all that you have learned. This course will be under the patient, expert guidance of our Clinician and Sonographer tutors.
We will now extend your experience with clinical integration. We will lead you through clinical, case based discussions including group and 1:1 discussions.
A clinical simulation live-scanning assessment will be performed to assess your practical skills. Extend your skills and understanding of integrating ultrasound into your clinical assessment of the gleno-humral joint and shoulder bursae.
Want to be recognised as a safe and competent point of care ultrasound user?
This course is the first step toward attaining a credential in point of care ultrasound (Certificate of Competence).
Learn more about our credentialing pathway.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Medicine Physician
- Family Physician
- General Practitioner
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Pain Management Specialist
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Sports Medicine Physician
To acquire and interpret a complete set of diagnostic quality views to answer the clinical question:
- Is there a shoulder joint or bursal effusion?
- Is the shoulder joint enlocated?
Expected Learning Outcomes:
At the end of this course the attendees should be able to:
- Identify the parameters for the safe application of ultrasound and its limitations in medical diagnosis.
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimization while performing ultrasound.
- Answer the clinical PoCUS question by acquiring and evaluating ultrasound images of the glen-humeral joint and subacromial/subdeltoid bursae.
- Correlate ultrasound skills with clinical reasoning to make appropriate management decisions.
- To confidently interpret the complexity of anatomy and pathologies encountered when incorporating Point of Care UltraSound (PoCUS) of the shoulder joint into an urgent patient management pathway in suspicion of a joint/bursal effusion or GHJ dislocation.
- Appreciate the limitations of the ultrasound examination. When is it the operator versus equipment limitations.
- Become a safe, experienced PoCUS practitioner.
|Shoulder Ultrasound (Basic) Course||5 cases (included in course fee)|
|Shoulder Ultrasound (Advanced) Course||15 cases (to be purchased separately)|
- Basic Course — upon completion of the Shoulder Ultrasound Basic course, students may submit up to 5 cases for Tutor review, at no additional cost.
- Advanced Course — those who wish to achieve the ultrasound credential will need to purchase the additional 15 cases (reviews) in addition to the course fee.
- No cases are required to be submitted prior to enrolling in the Shoulder Ultrasound Advanced course.
- There is no obligation for students to submit cases if they do not wish to be credentialed.
Prior learning: Completion of Shoulder (Basic) course.
Equipment: Regular access to an ultrasound machine and patients.
Prior to commencing course:
Pre-course material will be provided four weeks before the course start date. This will include videos and a short quiz. It is mandatory to review this material prior to attending as it is the foundation material for the course.
- Hands-on practical scanning on real patient models and simulators, with a maximum ratio of 1 tutor to 4 students.
- Expert led presentations and demonstrations;
- Online videos and directed reading.
- Clinical case based discussion and mini-simulation.
- Summative rubric assessment.
8:15 am to 4:00 pm
National University of Singapore
MD6, 14 Medical Drive,
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.