Shoulder Ultrasound Course (Basic)
Shoulder and upper arm pain are one of the most common musculoskeletal complaints. The rotator cuff tendons of the shoulder and surrounding infrastructure are complex. Equally, ultrasound of the shoulder and rotator cuff is a complicated process.
A rigorous and systematic technique is taught ensuring a thorough ultrasound investigation is performed. The ability to obtain an image and recognise normal ultrasound anatomy, lays down the vital foundation skills needed to compliment a clinical investigation.
You will gain an understanding of machine optimisation including ‘tips & traps’ and anatomy familiarisation on real patient models.
Want to be recognised as a safe and competent point of care ultrasound user?
This course is the first step toward attaining a credential in point of care ultrasound (Certificate of Competence).
Learn more about our credentialing pathway.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Medicine Physician
- Family Physician
- General Practitioner
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Pain Management Specialist
- Rehabilitation Specialist
- Sports Medicine Physician
To acquire a complete set of diagnostic quality views to answer the clinical questions of:
- Is there a shoulder joint or bursal effusion?
- Is the shoulder joint enlocated?
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate effective use of an ultrasound machine
- Optimise an ultrasound image
- Recognise the relevant normal ultrasound anatomy and describe them using sonographic terminology.
- Acquire images of the posterior glenohumeral joint , LHB sheath and subacromial and subdeltoid bursa
- How to document the ultrasound findings.
- Identify the limitations of ultrasound and identify when to on-refer patients for formal scanning or complimentary investigations.
|Shoulder Ultrasound (Basic) Course||5 cases (included in course fee)|
|Shoulder Ultrasound (Advanced) Course||15 cases (to be purchased separately)|
- Basic Course — upon completion of the Shoulder Ultrasound Basic course, students may submit up to 5 cases for Tutor review, at no additional cost.
- Advanced Course — those who wish to achieve the ultrasound credential will need to purchase the additional 15 cases (reviews) in addition to the course fee.
- No cases are required to be submitted prior to enrolling in the Shoulder Ultrasound Advanced course.
- There is no obligation for students to submit cases if they do not wish to be credentialed.
Qualification: MBBS with SMC registration — or international equivalent.
Equipment: Regular access to an ultrasound machine and patients.
Prior learning: No previous ultrasound experience is necessary.
Prior to commencing course:
Pre-course material will be provided four weeks before the course start date. This will include videos and a short quiz. It is mandatory to review this material prior to attending as it is the foundation material for the course.
- Hands-on practical scanning on real patient models and simulators, with a maximum ratio of 1 tutor to 4 students.
- Expert led presentations and demonstrations.
- Online videos and directed reading.
- Online logbook — upload your images for personalised and constructive feedback from your dedicated tutor.
- Formative rubric assessment — measure you skill progression and highlight areas for improvement.
8:15 am to 4:15 pm
National University of Singapore
MD6, 14 Medical Drive,
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.