Cannulation and Vascular Access (1.00pm Start)
- Equipment and image optimisation
- Sono-anatomy (Artery vs. Vein)
- Needle recognition
- Aseptic technique
- Imaging techniques
- Tips and pitfalls
Course Dates & Fees
Establish a systematic approach to utilising ultrasound in difficult cannulations. Apply these skills to any needling techniques.
This program is specifically designed for all health professionals involved in cannulation and vascular access. Fine-tune your technique following a systematic approach with practical hands on scanning whilst needling tissue phantoms.
You will also gain an understanding of machine optimisation including ‘tips & traps’ and relevant anatomy familiarisation.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Medicine Physician
- General Practitioner
- Family Physician
- Renal Physician
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Identify the parameters of safe application of ultrasound.
- Identify the physical principles, artefacts and the steps for image optimisation.
- Recognise the need for alternative scanning techniques.
- Recognise the sonographic appearances of normal peripheral veins and arteries.
- Perform ultrasound guided vascular access on phantoms.
- Understand aseptic technique when integrating ultrasound into cannulation.
- This course in NOT credentialed.
- Students will receive a ‘Statement of Attendance’ from AIU Singapore upon completion of this course.
Prior learning: No previous ultrasound experience is necessary.
Prior to commencing course:
Pre-course material will be provided four weeks before the course start date. It is mandatory to review this material prior to attending as it is the foundation material for the course.
- Hands-on practical scanning on real patient models and simulators, with a maximum ratio of 1 tutor to 4 students;
- Expert led presentations and demonstrations;
- Online videos and directed reading;
1:00 pm to 16:15 pm
National University of Singapore
MD6, 14 Medical Drive,
Afternoon tea and refreshments are provided.