BELS Course (Basic)
Shock is one of the most challenging clinical scenarios. Assessing the circulation is paramount in enabling the Clinician to narrow the differential diagnoses, choose the most appropriate formal test, and commence the best treatment. This course will introduce you to cardiac scanning techniques essential to answer clinical questions in hemodynamically unstable patients.
You will gain an understanding of machine optimisation including ‘tips & traps’ and anatomy familiarisation on patient models.
Want to be recognised as a safe and competent point of care ultrasound user?
This course is the first step toward attaining a credential in point of care ultrasound (Certificate of Competence).
Learn more about our credentialing pathway.
Who should attend?
- Emergency Medicine Physician
- Family Physician
- General Practitioner
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Pain Management Specialist
- Renal Physician
- Sports Medicine Physician
- Respiratory Physician
To acquire a complete set of diagnostic quality views to answer the protocol based clinical questions:
- Is there a pericardial effusion?
- Is there a pericardial effusion?
- Are there signs of cardiac tamponade?
- Is the relative size of the chambers normal?
- Is the LV/RV systolic function preserved?
- Is there any sign of massive pulmonary embolism?
- Is there any sign of hyperdynamic status/hypovolemia?
Expected Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate effective use of an ultrasound machine
- Optimise an ultrasound image
- Recognise normal ultrasound anatomy and describe using sonographic terminology
- Acquire images of the heart in two planes in multiple windows
- Acquire images of the IVC in two planes.
- How to document the ultrasound findings.
- Identify the limitations of ultrasound and identify when to on-refer patients for formal scanning or complimentary investigations.
|BELS (Basic) Course||5 cases (included in course fee)|
|BELS (Advanced) Course||20 cases (to be purchased separately)|
- Basic Course — upon completion of the BELS Basic course, students may submit up to 5 cases for Tutor review, at no additional cost.
- Advanced Course — those who wish to achieve the ultrasound credential will need to purchase the additional 20 cases (reviews) in addition to the course fee.
- No cases are required to be submitted prior to enrolling in the BELS Advanced course.
- There is no obligation for students to submit cases if they do not wish to be credentialed.
Qualification: MBBS with SMC registration — or international equivalent.
Equipment: Regular access to an ultrasound machine and patients.
Prior learning: No previous ultrasound experience is necessary.
Prior to commencing course:
Pre-course material will be provided four weeks before the course start date. This will include videos and a short quiz. It is mandatory to review this material prior to attending as it is the foundation material for the course.
- Hands-on practical scanning on real patient models and simulators, with a maximum ratio of 1 tutor to 4 students.
- Expert led presentations and demonstrations.
- Online videos and directed reading.
- Online logbook — upload your images for personalised and constructive feedback from your dedicated tutor.
- Formative rubric assessment— measure you skill progression and highlight areas for improvement.
8:15 am to 4:15 pm
National University of Singapore
MD6, 14 Medical Drive,
Morning tea, a light lunch and refreshments are provided.